The following information was provided to the PBCC Neighborhood Improvement committed by the Assistant Chief on the VPD.
Number of Officers
Total Number of Authorized VPD Officers today is 139. This number includes officers, officers in training, and officers who are out with injuries. 2017 Calls for Service City-Wide
These are approximate numbers. There were about 100,000 total calls to VPD in 2017. This includes 911, non-911 calls, walk-ins, and field-initiated calls by officers.
- Over 32,000 911 calls
- Over 42,000 non-911 calls
- Walk-ins and field-initiated calls were around 25,000 calls
Current City-Wide Patrol Staffing
- There are generally 10 patrol officers on duty city-wide in the morning hours.
- There are generally 20 patrol officers on duty city-wide afternoon and evenings.
Beat 2 Patrol Staffing
This comprises the coastal areas in which Pierpont/Keys resides as well as parts of midtown near the mall. See the VPD Beat Map for the boundaries:
- There are between 2-5 patrol officers who are dedicated to patrolling Beat 2 at any give time. Hours vary. Generally, there are 2 patrol officers for all of Beat 2 in the morning hours. At busines times of day, there are between 4-5 officers on duty.
- Traffic cadets and motorcycle officers are not assigned to "beats" and they transverse the entire city.
- The Patrol Task Force is also not assigned to "beats". There are six (6) officers currently staffed on the Task Force. These are the officers who you see on bikes, often wearing shorts. They are the ones that are working to address the homeless issues in the city.